Come and Celebrate
All of you who are interested in Samuel Taylor Coleridge would want to know that we the family of the poet and the inhabitants of Ottery St.Mary (EX11 1DQ), where he was born, lived his early life, and mentioned in some of his greatest works, are holding a weekend to announce the fund-raising for a new statue, outside our Church, of the great poet, critic and philosopher. All are welcome.
Weekend Programme, October 20th - 22nd, 2017
Friday 20th October
- Afternoon - 3.00 pm - at St Mary’s church (Free admission)
An edited reading of the “Ancient Mariner” by Laurie Palmer in period costume.
Poetry reading by the Kings School students.
Friday 20th October
- Evening - 7.00 pm - at St Mary’s church (Free admission)
- Chairman’s welcome
- Presentation by Dr Sandra Tuppen, Lead Curator, Modern Archives and Manuscripts 1601-1850 from The British Library entitled "Samuel Taylor Coleridge manuscripts at the British Library”.
- Talk by Mr Nicholas Dimbleby, the statue’s sculptor, on the Samuel Taylor Coleridge sculptural memorial.
- Interval with refreshments; - Tea, Coffee, Wine.
- Presentation by Oscar Pearson on the CMT’s achievements and aims.
- Chairman's outline of CMT fundraising plans.
- Reading of the Kubla Khan and other Coleridge poems.
- Exhibition all weekend in the Dorset Aisle - STC banners, maquette etc.
Saturday 21st October
9.30 - 10.30am STC Birthday Celebration peel of bells by the Bell ringers of St Mary’s church, Ottery in honour of the town's most famous son.
Sponsored by Otter Vale Probus Club.
12.30 for 1.00 pm Coleridge Anniversary Lunch at the Tumbling Weir Hotel Organised by Robert Neal - OStM Heritage Society.
Guest speaker: Historian and author Todd Gray: ‘Coleridge the Walker’.
4.00 pm Short guided walk and talk - lead by Sam Coleridge to Pixies Parlour.
Meet on the bridge between the Land of Canaan car park and The Tumbling Weir Hotel on the Mill Stream.
£10 a head for fundraising ; children under 12 years old & dogs will not be charged.
Advise suitable walking shoes etc.
Sunday Morning 22nd October
10.00 am - 4.00 pm approx.
“Coleridge Link” - strenuous 9 mile walk - led by Sam Coleridge.
Meet on the bridge over the Mill Stream between the Land of Canaan car park and The Tumbling Weir Hotel. £10 a head for fundraising; Dogs welcome.
Bring water, sandwiches, suitable walking shoes and wet-weather clothes.
Photograph: Hulton Archive/Getty Images